Tall house plants are ideal for indoors when it comes to creating a big impact in an otherwise low key room. Tall green house plants can make a large space feel more ambient, homely, and welcoming, especially when strategically placed.
The majority of rooms in most households have space for at least one tall house plant. It is, however, a good idea to do your research, as if the plant gets too big it may overwhelm a room, or make the space appear crowded. If the room in question is on the large side, bigger, bolder plants will instantly add height.
Choosing your houseplant
Tropical tall green house plants that grow to five feet or higher are the best tall house plants for those wishing to add instant drama to any living space. We’ve listed ten of our favorites…
1. Spathiphyllum (Peace Lily) is one of the most low-maintenance flowering plants you’ll ever grow, is a great option for those with a busy lifestyle.
2. The Swiss cheese plant and split-leaf philodendron are popular house plants that grow tall, although they may need to be staked if they get too tall.
3. Tropical bird of paradise is another tall leaf house plant that will create a high impact. This evergreen adds an injection of colour to the home all year-round. As soon as the months of summer, an array of spectacular orange flowers come into play.
4. The Schefflera plant comes in the shape of a rich, full, tropical plant brandishing an array of picture-perfect green umbrellas.
5. The weeping fig, with its tree-like habit, adds instant depth to a room, and while it does grow slowly, it can reach ten feet in height if allowed to flourish.
6. The rubber plant, from the ficus family, are great tall green house plants, as they are able to adapt extremely well to average lighting and temperatures.
7. Newer hybrids are another good option as they are variegated, which means they brandish more of decorative interest.
8. Indoor palm trees are one of the most prevalent tall house plants, and it is little wonder why. They are extremely low-maintenance and flourish when placed in indirect light. This is a great option for those wishing to add interest to an empty corner.
9. Norfolk Island pines are particularly popular around the festive season. They are also a cost-effective option when it comes to investing in tall green house plants. When placed in a large, open room, their strong horizontal lines create stunning contrast.
10. Plumeria (often nicknamed the frangipani tree) can grow to an impressive height. This pretty flowering tree prefers warm temperatures and high humidity, which makes them an ideal option for indoors.
Create an impact
House plants that grow tall will add instant impact to your home. Whether you place them in the center of the room, in front of a bright sunny window, or in the corner of a room, they’re an interior asset. They also boast a number of health benefits, including improving air quality, encouraging healing, and maximizing concentration.
Buy more than one plant
Balance a tall plant by placing it alongside a smaller plant to achieve instant indoor tropical paradise status. Echoing plant shapes will add a sense of harmony to the room’s décor, particularly when using fountain-shaped plants, such as a ponytail palm or a bushy Boston fern.
Rosette-shaped plants, such as a bird’s nest fern and a bromeliad, also work well indoors.
How to care for tall house plants
With indoor houseplants, it’s important to understand that they may require more care than outdoor plants, as for many species, the home will be a completely new environment.
From knowing if your plant is thirsty or oversaturated, to learn more about the tell-tale signs of too much fertilizer, to how to tell if your plant is getting enough sunlight, there are a number of factors you will need to take into consideration.
Most nurseries and garden centers will be able to offer advice when you purchase tall house plants, as will online suppliers.
Where to buy tall house plants
There are a number of options when it comes to where to buy tall house plants.
You can either visit your local garden center or alternatively if you’re looking for a hassle-free shopping experience, you can buy an abundance of the best tall house plants online – all of which will be delivered directly to your door.
How to keep tall house plants from falling over
If a houseplant gets too tall, it may topple over, creating havoc and mess. With this in mind, it’s wise to ensure your plant has the support it requires.
From staking the plant to placing it against a wall, to ensuring the pot is stable and the correct size, there are a number of things you can do to keep tall house plants from falling over.
Start growing some plants. Should you prefer flowers or plants, garden centers, and online florists have an abundance of choice, many of which offer same and next day flower delivery.
Comments are closed.